Coq Au Vin
Plain Flour: 2 tbsp
Chicken Portions: 2
Butter: About 40 gms
Pancetta: 75 gms, diced
Garlic Cloves: 4, crushed
Carrot: 1, diced
Celery Stick: 1, roughly chopped
Brandy / Cognac: 2 tbsp
Red Wine (Beaujolias): 400 ml
Bay Leaf: 2
Fresh Thyme: 3 - 4 sprigs
Shallots: 7 to 8
Red Wine Vinegar: 1 tbsp
Button Mushroom: 120 gms
Salt & Black Pepper to taste
1. Mix the flour with the salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Coat the chicken with half of the seasoned flour.
3. In a pan, melt half the butter, add the chicken and fry gently until golden brown on all sides.
4. In a casserole, fry the pancetta, garlic,carrot and celery until they soften.
5. Add the remaining seasoned flour, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
6. Pour in the brandy and the wine, stirring it to make sure that there are no lumps at the bottom.
7. Add the bay leaf and thyme. Bring it to boil. Cover. Simmer for about an hour.
8. While it is simmering, melt some butter with the olive oil in a frying pan.
9. Add the onions and fry them until they are brown.
10. Add in the vinegar and 1 tbsp water.
11. Add the onions and the mushrooms to the chicken and cook it for about 30 minutes. Make sure that the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are nice and tender.
12. Transfer the chicken and the vegetables to a hot serving plate.
13. Discard the bay leaf and thyme.
14. Boil the sauce for about 3 - 5 minutes or until reduced to a nice consistency.
15. Pour over the chicken and serve with mashed potatoes and / or steamed broccolli.
Post a Comment