Tuna Pasta Bake
This recipe has valuable inputs from my husband, Douglas - Thanks honey... It wouldn't be as tasty without you.
Ingredients: (For 4)
Penne Pasta - 500 gms
Butter - 50 gms
Cheddar - 250 gms, grated
Tuna in spring water - 2 large cans, drained
Onions - 2 small, chopped
Capsicum - Red, chopped
Garlic Pods - 5, finely chopped
Fresh Vine Tomatoes - 7 to 8, sliced into 2
Tomato Passata - 6 to 8 tbsp
Fresh Green Chillies - 3 to 4 sliced into half & deseeded (Optional, if you want a bit of heat)
Fresh Lemon Juice - 1 tsbp
Bread crumbs - Half a slice
Fresh Coriander - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Boil the pasta for 2 minutes less time than the cooking time stated on the pack.
3. To make the sauce, heat some oil / butter in a large non - stick pan. Put the onions in them & brown them.
4. Add the capsicum and cook it for 2 - 3 minutes.
5. Add the chopped garlic and cook it again for 2 minutes.
6. Add the sliced chillies and cook for about a minute.
7. Add the fresh tomatoes and cook them for 3 minutes and then add the tomato passata, along with the fresh lemon juice, and cook again for about 5 minutes.
8. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in all but a handful of cheese and the fresh coriander.
9. Drain the pasta, mix with the sauce and tuna.
10. Transfer to a baking dish and top with the rest of the grated cheese and the breadcrumbs.
11. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the cheese on the top is golden and starting to brown.
12. Serve hot with some more sprinkled cheese on top.