Baingan Musallam (Mughlai Aubergine Dish)
SERVINGS: 3-4 People
- Brinjal / Aubergine - 500 gms, cubed into small pieces
- Ghee - 4 tbsps
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 2 tbsp
- Onions - 2 medium, chopped
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
- Tomato - 2 medium, chopped
- Fresh Cream - 2-3 tbsp
Brinjal / Aubergines: This dish is cooked with whole aubergines. So, if you get small ones, you can cook them whole. Or if its a big one, you can cut them into cubes or long wedges.
1. Heat the oil in a non - stick kadhai (pan), sprinkle some salt and fry the brinjal & potato pieces until they're brown. Take them out, put them on a tissue paper to soak off extra oil and leave them aside for now.
2. In the same oil, add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
3. Add the onions, ginger and garlic and fry them until they turn translucent.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and cook them on a medium flame for about 5 minutes or until it turns soft.
5. Now, add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and mix well. Add some water, if it starts sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook this for about 7 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add about 1 cup of water and mix well. Bring it to a boil.
7. Add the fresh cream and mix it again. Cook it for another 3 - 5 minutes.
8. Now, add the fried brinjal & potato pieces and mix it well.
9. Finally, garnish it with coriander and some more fresh cream, and serve hot with naan or rice.