Chicken Tikka Pot Biryani
Biryani is an Indian dish of meat, fish, or vegetables cooked with rice - flavoured especially with saffron or turmeric and we are preparing this special dish in an earthen pot for great taste and aroma.
(You can just use Garam Masala powder here as well)
Garlic: 7 to 8 pods
Cinnamon Stick: 2-3 inch sticks
Grated Coconut: 1/4 cup
Black Peppercorn: 10
Green Cardamom: 10
Star Anise: 5
Mace: 1-2 bulbs, small
Nutmeg Powder: 1 tbsp
Fresh Mint Leaves: 1 tbsp
Bay Leaves: 5 - 7
Oil: 1 tbsp
TO FRY: (For layering on the top of the Biryani)
Onions: 3 medium, thinly sliced
CHICKEN MARINATION INGREDIENTS:
Chicken: 1 kg, medium pieces
Oil: 3 - 4 tbsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tbsp
Green chillies: 5, crushed (depending on your spice level)
Ground Dry Spice Powder / Garam Masala: 3 tbsp
Red Chilli / Paprika Powder - 2 tbsp
Coriander + Cumin Powder: 2 tbsp
Yogurt - 1 cup
Ginger + Garlic Paste: 1 tbsp
Tandoori Masala - 1 tbsp
Lemon Juice: 1 tbsp
Salt - As required
Water - 1/2 cup
Water: 4 - 5 cups
Salt: 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tbsp
Coriander: 1/2 cup, chopped
Green Chillies: 2, vertically slit (depending on your spice level)
Bay Leaves: 3 to 4
Green Cardamom: 2
Black Cardamom: 2
Cinnamon Stick: 1 inch piece
Cloves: 2 to 3
Salt - As required
Rice: 2.5 to 3 cups
CHICKEN TIKKA INGREDIENTS:
Saffron - 1 pinch, soaked in warm milk
Ghee - 5 - 6 tbsp
Fresh coriander - 2 tbsp
Green cardamom: 3 pods
Black Peppercorns: 2
Cinnamon Stick - 1 inch
Cloves - 2 pods
Cumin Seeds - 1 tbsp
Ginger + Garlic paste: 1 tbsp
Green Chilli - 1, chopped finely
Onion - 1, medium, chopped finely
Tomato - 2, medium, chopped finely.
Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Salt - As desired
Red Chilli /Paprika Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander + Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala: 1 tsp
Fried Onions - 2 tbsp
Coriander - Finely chopped, for garnish
Mint - Finely chopped, for garnish
1) Take 1 tbsp oil and roast all the dry spices over medium heat, until they release their aroma. Let it cool down. Grind to a fine powder. Alternatively, just use 1 tbsp of Garam Masala.
2) Take a wok. Heat the oil on a high flame. When it is really hot, put in the thinly sliced onions, and fry them until dark brown. Keep them aside.
3) Add the chicken and all the ingredients for the marination into an earthen pot. Mix very well. Cover and leave it aside for 4 - 6 hours or overnight.
4) Heat some oil in a grill pan and grill the chicken on it. Cook the chicken, turning occasionally until the chicken turns dark brown in colour (about 80% cooked). Remove it from heat and keep aside.
5) Take a big pot. Add in the water and all the ingredients for the rice. When the water starts boiling, add in the rice. Stir thoroughly. Cook until 75% done / about 10 - 12 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain the rice. Wash it with cold water. Keep aside.
6) Heat 2 - 3 tbsp ghee in a heavy skillet. Add the 3 green cardamoms, 2 black peppercorns, 1 inch cinnamon stick, 2 pods cloves and 1 tbsp cumin seeds. Stir very well.
7) Add 1 tbsp ginger + garlic paste and the chopped chillies and sauté for 1 - 2 minutes. Add in the chopped onions and fry till translucent.
8) Add in the chopped tomatoes and sauté until the oil starts to separate.
9) Add half cup yogurt, and mix well. Add in the salt, red chilli / paprika powder, cumin + coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder.
10) Add in 2 tbsp fried onions and mix again. Add in 2 cups of water and mix well. Bring to a boil.
11) Now, add in the almost cooked chicken pieces and stir well. Add in some fresh mint leaves. Cover it with a lid and cook for 7 - 10 minutes. Open the lid and mix well.
12) Next, add the partially cooked rice to the chicken. Spread evenly. Add 1/4 cup of water or some leftover curry / gravy to it.
13) Drizzle the saffron milk over the top of the rice. Garnish with 3-4 tbsp of ghee on the top of the rice.
14) Sprinkle it over with fresh coriander, mint and the fried onions.
15) Cover the pot with a lid and seal it with dough, to ensure complete cooking of the Biryani. Or you could cover the pot with silver foil, and then place the lid on it, to ensure the even cooking of the Biryani.
16) Let it cook for about 10 - 12 minutes on a medium flame. Remove from heat. Garnish with mint. Serve hot. Have it with a glass of buttermilk / masala chaas and some salad / Kachumber.