One Pot Greek Chicken and Lemon Rice
This is my one of my favourite Greek Chicken recipes, as it's super quick, super easy, and most of the cooking is in the oven. So, once you put it in the oven, you can relax.
Also, its cooked in 1 pot / pan, and packed with classic Greek flavours.
It may not be 100% authentic, but it's my version of this classic dish.
Chicken Marinade Mixture:
If possible, leave the chicken to be marinated overnight, if not, at least for 30 minutes.
Chicken - 1 kg, with bones (with skin, preferred), but I have used skinless pieces
Lemon Zest - 2 lemons
Lemon Juice - 4 tbsp
Organo - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Chilli Powder / Paprika - 1 tbsp
Garlic Cloves - 5, finely chopped
Dried Onions - 1 tbsp
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
Brown / Yellow Onion - 1, medium, finely diced
Rice - 2 cups (300 gms.), long - grained and soak them in warm water
Chicken Stock / Broth - 700 ml.
Water - 300 ml.
Oregano - 1 tbsp
Coriander + Cumin Powder - 1 tbsp
Salt - To taste
Black Pepper - 1/2 tbsp (adjust as per preference)
Lemon Zest - 1 tsp
Parsley / Coriander - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Chillies - 5 to 6 (if you like spicy food)
Lemon Slices - Optional (Seared in the pan after cooking the chicken - which I haven't done this time)
1) Mix the chicken and the marinade ingredients in a zip lock bag or a bowl. Keep it aside for 30 minutes minimum, but preferably overnight.
2) Preheat your oven to 180° C / 350° F.
3) On a medium - high flame, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a heavy based pan / pot.
4) Take the chicken pieces and place the pieces of chicken (skin side down) into the pan, and cook on each side until golden brown. It should be above 4 - 5 minutes. Save the marinade for later.
5) Once the chicken is brown, take it out from the pan and set it aside.
6) If there are any burnt bits, deglaze the pan / pot with some of the chicken stock.
7) On a medium flame, add in 1 tbsp olive oil and then add the finely chopped onions, and cook them until they turn golden brown.
8) Add the soaked rice, the rice ingredients and the remaining marinade mixture. Stir them together and cook for about 1 minute.
9) Let it simmer for about 1-2 minutes. Then add the pieces of chicken on the top. Cover the pot / pan with a lid / foil.
10) Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes with the lid on. Then take the lid off and bake it for 10 more minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
11) Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 - 10 minutes.
12) Garnish well and serve.